Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)
20+ years of Project and Program Management experience
Extremely detail-oriented, through initial understanding of requirements, baselining of work breakdown structure and detailed project schedule, evaluation of risks, monitoring of project throughout the lifecycle, regular review and mitigation of risks and issues, and seeing projects through to their successful completion and acceptance by the end customer.
History of on-time and within-budget project deliveries
I have a proven professional history of delivering projects on-time and within-budget. Managing scope with customers is one of the most difficult parts of Project Management – don’t let this get away from you!
Let me help!
Proven leader and problem-solver
Experience in both government and commercial project management
Have managed internal projects that were moved from R&D into product sales, eCommerce solutions in the tolling industry, commercial video game production, and knowledge management in the form of US Army Intelligence platforms that have been fielded and remain in use today.
Have managed IT Infrastructure teams moving through both hardware and software capability introductions, upgrades, and enhancements.
Process-oriented quality improvement
Quality-focused software development management, including development of QA organizations, test plans/procedures, automated testing, etc.
Client-facing customer management
My role is to provide not only the internal team leadership, but the primary point of contact for customer interactions – being able to translate “customer needs” into “actionable tasks” that fit within the contract structure and language.
High-pressure situation management
2014-present: Owner - Balettie Consulting, Inc.
Small business owner specializing in both Project Management Consulting and Technical Project Management.
Projects have included software development projects, Information Technology/infrastructure efforts, business process modeling, and strategic planning. Software development projects have been accomplished using various software development life cycle models (from waterfall to Agile) and programming environments.
Clients have covered commercial organizations, government agencies (both state and Federal), and institutes of higher education. Non-profit organizations have been supported through website development and project planning.
Leadership has been provided to all organizations through standard Project Management Institute (PMI) techniques of scheduling, prioritization, and customer management.
2013-2014: Project Manager/Business Analyst - Y&L Consulting
Customer commented: “best deliverables we’ve ever received”.
2010-2013: Program Manager - GS5, LLC
- Standardized PMO reporting processes, providing streamlined oversight of POR cost, schedule, and performance metrics and reducing PMO time and manpower.
- Mentored several Army Project Managers in industry-standard PM techniques, resulting in POR adherence to US Army Acquisition standards.
2004-2010: Senior Program Manager - Overwatch Systems, Ltd.
- Increased contract revenue by almost 20 times the initial effort in approximately six years.
- DCGS-A was a significant part of the Overwatch Product Line software development effort, resulting in increased software re-use, improved quality of delivered products, and faster development timelines.
- Attained Capability Maturity Model – Integration (CMM-I) level 5 assessment. Was significant part of corporate efforts to achieve CMM-I Level 5 assessment using DCGS-A program processes and artifacts. The CMM-I Level 5 assessment provided competitive advantages in contract award assessments.
2002-2004: Producer - Inevitable Entertainment
- Delivered successful multi-platform video game. Led team in design and delivery of “Area 51” multiplatform console and PC) first-person shooter video game. Positive reviews and sales figures for game led to development of sequel (industry benchmark for success).
1997-2002: Project Manager - Applied Research Laboratories: The University of Texas at Austin
- Delivered significant Army training collection system. Managed design, development, delivery, and training of Army Battle Command Systems Integration (ABCSI) hardware and software to Army MCTCs. ABCSI closed significant communications gap in crucial monitoring of digital data during training exercises preparing Army units for real-world operations.
- Applied Human Factors Engineering to creation of user interface to increasingly large and complex data sets, while maintaining awareness of current roles and responsibilities of Army Training operators.
1986-1997: Senior Flight Dynamics Officer - NASA/Johnson Space Center
- Provided Mission Control support of 26 Space Shuttle missions, with 10 in lead FDO position; automated and supervised trajectory flight planning processes.
- Developed space shuttle trajectory software. Led applications development team in delivery of software for use by FDOs in the MCC for both pre-flight and real-time operations, replacing several legacy systems and providing vastly improved processing capabilities in terms of performance and functionality.
- Designed, developed, and implemented critical deorbit opportunities software for use in NASA’s Mission Control Center, based on analytical methods and updated requirements. Received NASA Inventions and Contributions Board (ICB) Technology Award for Deorbit Opportunities Processor Software (DOPS).
For more information, please see my personal Space Exploration website.